My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Aven has no arms. And while life may be challenging, Aven is capable of anything. Her parents have always affirmed this and she has walked with this truth in her life one day at a time. When her dad accepts a new job in Arizona at an old amusement park, her family packs their bags and leaves Kentucky behind. The trouble is that moving to some place new means a new school, which in itself can prove difficult for any 13-year-old , but for Aven it means she’ll be the new girl with no arms.
What I love about Aven is that she is quick-witted and spunky and completely confident and comfortable in her own skin. She’s learned how to deal with the stares and pointing and the incredibly ignorant comments and questions, however she is not altogether immune from it. When she needs a friend the most, she finds one in Connor, and together they seek to solve a mystery that begins to unfold at the amusement park.
Aven blogged and would post her random thoughts. She blogged openly about her experiences as she engaged with the world around her. Sometimes her blogs included lists, like her post about twenty fantastic things about having no arms. As I conclude, let me simply share with you twenty truly amazing things about Aven that caused me to love this book.
Dusti Bowling, thank you for the Insignificant Events in the Life of a Cactus. It will teach the reader what it means to be brave, to be kind to those who sometimes feel invisible, and what it means to be a good friend.
Twenty Truly Amazing things about Aven Green:
- Aven tells the best stories that can be pretty outlandish about why she has no arms.
- Aven has a great imagination and an even better sense of humor.
- Aven is quick-witted and spunky.
- Aven is brave.
- Aven is confident.
- Aven can play the guitar.
- Aven can play soccer.
- Aven can solve mysteries.
- Aven is really good at making friends.
- Aven is really good at being a good friend.
- Aven is really good at helping others.
- Aven is full of good ideas.
- Aven likes adventure.
- Aven is persistent and determined.
- Aven is a problem solver.
- Aven is an inspiration.
- Aven loves her family.
- Aven encourages those around her.
- Aven is capable of doing anything she puts her mind to.
- Aven is full of heart.
Insignificant Events in the Life of a Cactus
Dusti Bowling | https://www.dustibowling.com/
Sterling Children’s Books
An imprint of Sterling Publishing Co., Inc.
Book Excursion | PLN Group of Rockstar Reading Educators| #BookExcursion